OPTOMETRIC BILLING & CODING CERTIFICATION COURSE
About the Billing and Coding Certification Program
The OBCCP (Optometric Billing & Coding Certification Program) is accredited by the AHEC (Accreditation by the Higher Education Committee). This is an exclusive program presented by PECAA, designed for eyecare professionals operating within the billing and coding capacity of the practice.
This comprehensive program will include in depth training and review of the following topics:
- Optometry Basics
- Medical Terminology
- The lifecycle of a Claim
- Vision vs. Medical Insurance
- HCPCS Coding
- ICD-10-CM Coding
- Denials and Appeals
Course publications contain the necessary material to complete the program and correspond with course material. Books are included with registration.
- Week 1: 7/11 & 7/13
- Week 2: 7/18 & 7/20
- Week 3: 7/25 & 7/27
- Week 4: 8/1 & 8/3
- Week 5: 8/8 & 8/10
- Week 6: 8/15 & 8/17
- **NO CLASS 8/22 & 8/24
- Week 7: 8/29 & 8/31
- Week 8: 9/5 & 9/7
- Week 9: 9/12 & 9/14
- Week 10: 9/19 & 9/21
- Week 11: 9/26 & 9/28
- Week 12: 10/3 & 10/5
- Week 13: 10/10 & 10/12
- Week 14: 10/17 & 10/19
- Week 15: Final Exam Week – No Live Session to attend
This is a 15-week program that will run from July 11 to October 27, 2023.
Each week there will be two live 1-hour sessions, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday.
- Tuesday sessions will consist of lesson material and instruction.
- Thursday sessions will be a live Q&A session where program attendees can ask the instructor specific questions and they can work through the lesson exercises that are provided.
- Tuesday Sessions will begin at 3:30pm PT/6:30pm ET.
- Thursday Sessions will begin at 9am PT/12pm ET.
Cost to Attend
PECAA Max Members*: $895 per person
HEA Advantage Members: $1,095 per person
Non-Members: $1,295 per person
*if you would like to learn more about upgrading your membership to PECAA Max, click here.
- There will be two quizzes throughout the program.
- Quiz One will be assigned after week 6 and Quiz 2 will be assigned after week 13.
- Each quiz will be 40 Multiple Choice Questions and you must receive a combined 70% from both quizzes to pass.
- You will have a maximum of two attempts per Quiz.
Final Exam Information
- The exam will be 100 Multiple Choice Questions and you must receive 80% to pass this final exam.
- Dates: Final Exam will be open starting at 10am PT/1pm ET on Thursday, October 19 and closes at 11:59pm PT on Friday, October 27.
- The test will need to be completed within two hours of starting the exam. It will be timed.
- You can take the test as many times as needed within the open testing period.
- The testing link will be emailed to each participant at the conclusion of Thursday, October 19's live session.
Earning Your Certificate
Each participant must receive at least a 70% combined grade from both quizzes AND a grade of at least 80% on the final exam to qualify to earn their certificate.
Lesson 1: Optometry Basics
This consists of 5 pre-recorded sessions that will be posted to the OBCCP Participant Page no later than June 26, 2023. All program registrants will receive an email on June 27, 2023 (two weeks before the program begins) that will provide the assignment to watch the pre-recorded sessions prior to the start of the program.
- OBCCP begins - course overview and review of pre-recorded sessions 1-5
Lesson 2: Optometry Billing
- Life Cycle of a claim and Intro to CMS-1500 Form
- Vision Plans / Different types of vision plans
- Health Insurance / Different types of health insurance plans
- Check in process
- Insurance Verification
- Check out process
- Introduction to payment processing
- Review week for Lessons 1 and 2
Lesson 3: Optometry Coding
- Anatomy of the eye
- Function of the eye
- Electronic Health Records
- Documentation introduction
- CPT Coding
- HCPCS Coding and HCPCS V-Codes
- Optometry diagnosis codes and ICD-10 CM Coding
- Denials and appeals
Course Review & Exam
- Exam Review
- Final exam week - no actual sessions.
Billing and Coding Certification Course Instructor
Teri Thurston, PECAA Billing and Coding Advisor
Teri Thurston is a revenue cycle professional with more than 25 years’ experience in the eye care industry. She has managed complex billing teams for ophthalmology and optometry practices. Teri has worked with various physicians to increase profitability, implement RCM efficiencies, and ensure billing compliance. She is passionate about supporting eye care professionals through billing and coding education.
Billing and Coding Certification Course Creator
Kayla Groves, PECAA Optical Management Advisor
Kayla is a highly accomplished eye care professional with over 14 years of experience in the Optical industry. She has successfully run several Optometry practices, including her own private practice, and she has had the opportunity to work one-on-one with hundreds of Optometry practices. Kayla specializes in optical management and can help you with all your optical needs.